Every human activity and every good we consume impacts nature. Our food, the water we drink, our clothes, our favourite gadgets, the energy we consume, our movements and travels. Everything we do in life consumes nature’s resources and unavoidably produces waste. This ‘footprint’ we leave in our shared home, the Earth, is our ‘environmental footprint’.
Until the early 1970s, our planet ‘easily’ provided everything humanity needed.1 Since then, however, the rate at which we consume natural resources has increased significantly, and today it is much higher than the rate at which the Earth can replenish these resources. Simply put, our ‘footprint’ is now heavier than the Earth can stand. In fact, it has been estimated that we would need 2.8 planets to meet our needs if everyone in the world lived like the average European.
If we consider that overconsumption is one of the main causes of the climate crisis, loss of biodiversity and the huge volume of waste, then we certainly have good reason to ‘lighten’ our footprint. Mainly because this is the only way we can ensure our own health and that of the planet. In other words, our survival.
Some of the most serious impacts of overconsumption and our current way of life are rapid loss of biodiversity, deforestation, the collapse of fish populations, drought, soil erosion, pollution of the air, ground and sea, and the climate crisis.
For many years now, we have been raising awareness – among the young and old alike – of the environmental footprint of our daily lives, focussing mainly, but not exclusively, on nutrition and reduction of plastics. We offer solutions and tools that help us adopt a ‘greener’ lifestyle, for the good of our health, our pocketbook and, of course, our planet!
More specifically, we teach children and adults the secrets of sustainable nutrition, from the dinner table to school lunches. We share tips and advice on how to reduce food waste and how to choose seafood responsibly to keep our seas alive and protect the people around the world who depend on our seas for their livelihood.
And we don’t stop there, because the time has come to say goodbye to plastics forever! So, every year, we raise awareness to rid ourselves of unnecessary plastics once and for all, working with organizations to find solutions and proposing measures to the state. At the same time, we are working to protect urban green spaces so that we can all enjoy their benefits.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Reduce your consumption of meat and enjoy the benefits of a healthy Mediterranean diet.
- Choose seafood responsibly with the WWF Fish Guide and protect our seas and millions of people around the world.
- Download the Greenspaces app onto your smartphone to discover and protect urban green spaces.
- Change your habits, use your imagination and creativity to find the perfect recipe and reduce food waste!
- Follow the Energy Conservation Guide, helping the climate and your pocketbook!
- Reduce your consumption of plastics. Say a resounding NO to single-use plastics and always have a reusable bottle with you.
- Support WWF actions in Greece and help us continue our work for a vibrant planet where people live in harmony with nature.
Without your support, we cannot continue to defend our precious natural environment and ensure a healthy future for humanity and the planet. Join us now!