IMPORTANT DATA ABOUT THE MEDITERRANEAN
- Marine protected areas cover 9.68% of the Mediterranean. In Greece, the percentage reaches 20.1%.
- However, only 2.48% of Mediterranean MPAs have an organised management plan guiding activities within them
- The economic value of the Mediterranean comes to $5.6 trillion.
- 15% of global shipping crosses the Mediterranean Sea.
- Aquaculture accounts for half of overall Mediterranean fish production.
- Small-scale coastal fisheries account for approximately 59% of total seafaring employment in the Mediterranean, providing approximately 134,300 jobs, representing 80% of the Mediterranean fleet.
At the same time, we are struggling against the development of new and especially harmful activities, such as hydrocarbon extraction, which threatens both the invaluable biodiversity of the Greek seas, and the sustainability of other human activities, such as fisheries and tourism.
Without your support, we cannot continue to defend our precious natural environment and ensure a healthy future for humanity and the planet. Join us now!